Legacy/Debugging How To Debug Packaged Games
In this wiki I explain how it is that you can debug packaged games, both by having the debug symbols/files available for the UE4 crash reporter, and via attach to process using Visual Studio!
Debug Symbols For Crash Reporter
If you're reading this you probably have gotten a crash in your packaged game and simply been told that you do not have debugging symbols enabled/available to assist further with figuring out what happened.
To package the game so that debugging symbols are included, check out this pic!
You can get here from Package Project -> Packaging Settings or Project Settings -> Packaging Settings
Debugging With Visual Studio
To debug a packaged game via Visual Studio:
1. In visual studio, compile the game for DebugGame Win32/Win64
2. After packaging, add all of the DebugGame files you find in your Binaries folder to your packaged Binaries folder, in Win32/Win64 directory.
3. Run the DebugGame executable instead of the regular one.
4. After your game starts, open visual studio, and press CTRL + ALT + P
5. Find your game in the process list and select it.
6. Now debugger symbols will load and you have full debugging help for your game!
Oh ye UE4 C++ Programmers!
You can now rest easy, your debugging powers in packaged games have just exponentially increased!