Welcome to a curated list of online learning resources!
These resources are excellent to learn about many different aspects of this complex engine.
Developing a multiplayer game comes with extra difficulties.
- You need to carefully plan the implementation of every feature. Will this script be executed on the server, client, replicated from server to all players?
- How to minimize the amount of data sent over the network? How to ensure the game feels responsive even if the remote server needs to approve every player action in order to prevent cheating?
Fortunately, Unreal Engine 4 provides amazing networking support out of the box. All we need is to learn how to use it.
This is a special plugin developed by Epic to be a standard solution to execute gameplay actions over the network.
- Actions such as dealing damage, casting spells, activating a custom character state.
- It would be even useful even in a single-player game. Basically, it's a standardized way to implement various mechanics.
- You won't see in blueprints, but this plugin takes care of optimizing multiplayer code for you. As you wouldn't be simply able to do it with regular blueprints.